Located at a distance of 12 km from Tirupati, this place is famous for its many palaces and forts. This place is must while visiting Tirupati.
Chandragiri was built in the 11th century, and the Raja Mahal (Palace) within it. Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadava Naidus for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagar rulers in 1367. It came into prominence during Saluva Narasimha Rayalu. Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire. Rayas shifted their capital to here when Golconda sultans attacked Penukonda. In 1646, the fort was annexed to the Golkonda territory and subsequently came under Mysore rule.
The Raja Mahal Palace is now an archeological museum. The palace is an example of Indo-Sarcen architecture of Vijayanagar period. The crowning towers represents the Hindu architectural elements. The palace was constructed using stone, brick, lime mortar and devoid of timber.